On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Paul <[email protected]> wrote:
<<I've heard about Autosomal DNA testing, in fact Ancestry.com calls it
their AncestryDNA is it as accurate as they say it is?>>

Paul G,

I don't know what AncestryDNA calls their autosomal testing product.  They
don't have very many Portuguese people over there. So your chance of
getting a match is slim.

Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) is another genealogy testing company.  They've been
around since 2000.  They have the largest genealogy DNA database.  We have
421 members in the Azores DNA project over there and 161 have done the
FamilyFinder test. That's FTDNA's autosomal DNA test.  The Madeira project
has 117 members with 33 of them doing the Family Finder test.  FTDNA
traditionally holds a Holiday Sale in December.  They've been putting
Family Finder on sale for $199 instead of $289 (plus $4 postage and
handling if you are a new customer).  One of the admins will post the sale
when we receive notification of it.

How accurate is the testing?  As accurate as the science behind it.  I've
tried to find AncestryDNA's advisory board and have been unsuccessful.  I
know who's behind FTDNA.  They publish that on their Who's Who page.  They
have a bunch of big name geneticists who are actively working in the field
and publishing research.  FTDNA gives you results for only people you match
based on the current science.  CeCe Moore, Your Genetic Genealogist, posted
in her blog about problems with AncestryDNA. I'd have to look up the URL
for that.  Problems with matches, problems with not even being in the right
haplogroup, people getting back inconclusive results a disproportionate
amount of time (I think FTDNA is about 2%).

Ancestry has a cheaper price than FTDNA.  But you do get what you pay for.
Cheri Mello
Family Tree DNA Admin
Azores DNA Project

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to