Diane George wrote:
"I had my nephew tested and his Haplogroup is J2, and J-M172 (Shorthand).
The most distant paternal ancestor is Joao Inacio da Silva. The baptismal
certificate for his son, Jose Ignacio Silva, shows that Joao was from Horta
Matriz, Faial, with unknown parents, but we have no other information about
him. His wife was Clara Florinda, daughter of Francisco Ignacio da Costa
and Maria Clara, from Flamengos, Faial."

- - -
My paternal grandfather was born in Flamengos in 1888. There are da Costas
on his mother's side (my great-grandmother), and I'm wondering whether
there is any connection.

My grandfather's father is José Silveira Leal; his mother is Francisca
Emília da Costa.

His mother's parents are Manuel José da Costa and Francisca Ignácia do
Coração de Jesus. Her paternal grandparents are António José da Costa and
Victoria Luisa. By any chance do any of these names appear as related to
any of the da Costas in your family? Her maternal grandparents are
Silvestre de Vargas and Teresa Inácia Coração Jesus.

In case anyone else has family from Flamengos, the names on my
grandfather's father side are:
Parents António Silveira Leal and Maria Felicia Rosa. Paternal grandparents
are ? Silveira Leal and Joanna Rosa. Maternal grandparents are José(?) Leal
Rosa and Elenna Rosa.

Tomás Leal