*My parents had a "Pen Pal" marriage. My father (Joao Vitorino Vasconcelos)
immigrated from Flores in 1909 and joined two older brothers who were
working as ranch hands on a ranch near Malta, Montana. Over the next 9
years, he moved first to Portland Oregon where he worked on a dairy farm
which was located near the present day Portland Zoo and then a few years
later he moved to work as a ranch hand for a Portuguese dairy farmer near
Fresno California who turned out to be a distant cousin of the woman who he
eventually married and became my mother.

When my father arrived at the Pimentel ranch in 1918, he met Jose Freitas,
who had just immigrated from Flores. The were both from the same small
Island of Flores, but met for the first time in rural Fresno County. They
became fast friends and immediately decided to marry each other's sister
(who were both still on Flores). My father started writing Jose's sister,
Ana, and in about 1928 he returned to Flores, formally courted my mother
and in 1929, they were married. By the time he returned to be married, he
had saved his money and had bought a 45 acre dairy a few miles west of
Fresno and had employed his new brother-in law. Jose.
Jose wasn't so lucky, My father's sister Angelina had a mind of her own and
in 1920 arrived in Fresno, already married. But in the end it all worked
out. Jose (who never married) and his brother Francisco went into
partnership with my Aunt Angelina and her husband Jose in the Granada
Market in east Fresno.
John Vasconcelos
*