My grandfather came to the United States in the early 1880's.  His  name
was Francisco Jose Luiz(s) from Pedro Miguel,  Faial.    It is spelled Luiz on
this gravestone here in  Sacramento, Ca.   However, as of the 1900 census,
he was already going  by Frank Lewis and all of his descendants have used
the Lewis surname  instead of Luiz.

Mary Ann M.

In a message dated 3/28/2013 9:54:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,