This is such a reckless comment and should be viewed with contempt.

There is no mention of the specific family of Silveira Cardoso in Lajes do Pico being of Jewish origin.

All they say is that Silveira and Cardoso are names that were used by Jews when forced to convert.
Sure. They picked every name available, but it has no bearing on whether the specific family of Silveira Cardoso in Lajes just happened to be these same Jews. It's highly unlikely.

But put it to the test. Get some direct male descendant tested for Y-DNA and then you can put this to rest.

Now, let's look a little closer. Silveira in most of the Azores has it's origins in Willem van der Hagen of Flanders. Nobody ever hinted that he was a Jew. He was a nobleman and that almost by itself tells us he was not.

OK, so maybe someone forced to convert assumed this Silveira name. Well, that could happen, just as with any other surname. Same for Cardoso.

I have at this moment 24 males who used Silveira Cardoso and were married in Lajes do Pico.

Most have fathers with other names - not Silveira Cardoso. So to be clear, one must pick one of these and I don't know which ones they might pick.

Let's narrow it down to those born in the 1700s.
Two have a father using Silveira Machado.
Two have a father named Amaro Luis Pereira.
One has a father names Silveira da Silva.
One has an unknown father and was born in Ribeiras next door.
One has Silveira Armao.
One was a Capitao and surely of noble descent whose father was Silveira de Bettencourt, the Capitao-mor (highest military title available).
One has Pereira Cardoso.
One has Pereira Gigante.
Another is from Ribeiras and traces back to the 1600s with Cardoso da Silveira.

Chances are best that the reason there are many by this particular name combination is that both Silveira and Cardoso are revered names by reason of the noble family such as the above Capitao-mor.

If anyone wants to give me a specif person, I would be willing to look at that exact line and give the surnames of the father from the oldest known generation.

So until proven otherwise, the answer is "no" they are not Jews converted by force.

Yes, there are others from Pico who were. I mentioned my line from Faria tracing to a Vieira in Sao Mateus, Pico in the late 1500s with haplogroup J which indicates Middle Eastern DNA and could easily be of Jewish origins.

But I hate the tendency to pick a name rather than a specific person and say that name is of Jewish origin, unless you pick one that is ONLY Jewish, like Benarus or Cohen, etc.

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618