Nell,

Depends on your goal.  If you want to focus on one line only and have
access to a male relative from that line, then you would want a Y-DNA
test.  If you want to focus on your mother's mother's mother's line (all
women - that one line only), you'd want an mtDNA test (which yields more
anthropological information generally).  If you want a cross section of
your entire pedigree going back about 200 years from the age of the testee,
then you want Family Finder.  Since I had access to both of my parents, I
had them take the Family Finder test (2 separate tests that I paid for).  I
got more information that way.

DNA for genealogy has been out since 2000.  Almost all genealogical
conferences have speakers on DNA.  Local genealogy societies also have DNA
speakers at their meetings.  Although these books are now out of date, the
basic way DNA works can be obtained from there: "Trace Your Roots with DNA"
by Megan Smolenyak Smolenyak and Ann Turner and "Genealogy and DNA" by
Colleen Fitzpatrick.

Achada