I have an ancestor from Porto Judeu named de BADILHO in the late 1600s.

It just occurred to me that this name is too similar to another one de BOBADILHO to be overlooked.

I wonder if anyone has successfully linked them.

One could speculate that the original for Badilho is the longer form Bobadilho.

There is a location in Spain called Bobadilla and I think Bobadilho is the Portuguese transliteration. It would make sense.

Alas, the Porto Judeu records are not old enough to trace these many named Badilho back further to reveal the answer to this one.

Having been cheated by Guarda-Mor out of my Terceira volumes by Mendes and Forjaz, I can't look to see if they have a chapter on this surname to see what they think.

Atenciosamente,

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618
www.dholmes.com

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---