From: p...@dholmes.com
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Sent: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 23:00:32 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Medeiros of Faial and PIco

If you do a lot of research in Faial records, you will surely notice many
Medeiros families.
Many of them undoubtedly also settled in Madalena and other Pico villages.
Just now I was looking through the genealogies of the island of Graciosa
called:Livro de Genealogias da Ilha Graciosa - Mateus Machado Fagundes
d'Azevedo

It was there that I found mention of possibly the first person named Medeiros
on Faial.
Her name was Maria Afonso de Medeiros, wife of Diogo Afonso Picanço.It says
they were the original settlers of Faial and lived in Praia do Almoxarife.
While I thought there was a great chance the Medeiros of Faial and Pico were
originally from São Miguel, the fact that Maria Afonso de Medeiros came from
the city of Faro on the mainland leads me to now believe she could be the
source of Medeiros for these islands.
I don't know if he's on this list, but an old friend of mine in Brasil named
Décio de Medeiros, whose Medeiros family came from Faial, might know more about
this. Maybe he will chime in here. There could be more early Medeiros people
who settled in Faial with other origins.
I have an ancestor named Pedro Vieira de Medeiros living in São Roque do Pico.
But neither of his parents used Medeiros. I suspect his grandfather might have
been one Gonçalo de Medeiros born in the late 1500s and living in Bandeiras,
Pico. He could be a grandson of this Maria Afonso de Medeiros - just a guess,
though.

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist