An opinion from the New bedford Whaling Museum

The William M. Wood Foundation is a legacy of a grandson of William M. Wood
(1858–1926), an immigrant from the Azores, whose father was an Azorean
whaler on a New Bedford whale ship. His original named was William Silva.
Wood began his career in textiles at the Wamsutta Mill, rising to become a
textile magnate, eventually heading a mill conglomerate, which became the
American Woolen Company

Eric Edgar