I'm not sure if you are interested in my Berbereia lineage but I have several living males from the Berbereia lineage of Altares and Raminho, Terceira.  One has already tested.... Contact me outside the group at ro...@lightspeed.net   Doreen

-----Original Message-----
From: p...@dholmes.com
Sent: Jun 19, 2013 12:11 AM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Cc: Sandra Dauer
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Family Finder DNA match for Terceira

Hi Sandra,

I haven't checked for a while and was pleased to log in and find three new matches from the past week for my father's Family Finder test. I didn't yet see if I also match them.

One match is your BERBEREA. I haven't looked at your Terceira ancestry for many years, so it was nice to see we found a connection.

I found three connections, and probably more, but the closest is SebastiĆ£o Fernandes Borges, who was born about 400 years ago. My father and your Berberea tested are 7th cousins, twice removed. It takes my father two more generations to reach that ancestor, who happens to be the ancestor of probably all with Altares ancestry, but I didn't investigate that assumption yet.

We might have a slightly closer, or maybe the same degree connection with one of the many lines from Ribeirinha, Terceira, but as you know, the records of the 1600s there are either lost or have many gaps and it will take more research to find any confirmation.

Another line is Toledo, but it's even more remote - an 8th or 9th cousin.

If there is any closer connection, it could come from one of the many Biscoitos lines I haven't pushed back any further yet. I have them into the middle 1700s. Maybe one came from elsewhere and we could link up that way - or not. I will have to see if you show more on your gedcom and get back to you.

Since 6th cousin is the closest FTDNA shows, I am going to propose that. I didn't yet look at your gedcom to see if you even are aware of these ancestors - you probably are, since David Bertao did a terrific job doing your genealogy years ago.

While on the subject of BERBEREIA, I wonder if there is a living male descendant who could get the Y-DNA test, since that is a very interesting Berber family and I would love to see what shows up as to the haplogroup.

I have two more matches to investigate now...

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---