In baptism records I often find the following circumstance:

Maria, married to Manoel Cunha, and Jacinta, married to Antonio Puim, are
sisters.  Manoel Cunha is listed as Godfather to a child born to Jacinta
and Antonio.

Since women often did not use a surname, the sister-sister relationship is
not apparent, and there seems to be no genealogical connection between
godfather and child.

When I later learn of the sister-sister kinship, I need to include a short
descriptive phrase to later jog my memory, as well as inform others who may
read my information, i.e.

   1. maternal uncle through marriage, 2. uncle through marriage to wife,
   3. brother-in-law to mother of child.

I don’t much like any of my choices and I’m hoping the group will offer
something better.

Another common corollary is Maria married to Manoel Cunha, and Antonio Puim
married to Jacinta, are brother and sister.  In this case Maria is the
Godmother, but it presents the same predicament.

Denis