From: p...@dholmes.com
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2013 3:59 PM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Cc: Isabella Baltar
Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Gonçalves_ancestors - Terceira

Hi Isabella,

Yea, that's the line.

I need to look more carefully for a connection between us. The one I described
leads to that interesting surname of Airoso, but I am only speculating on your
link back to about the year 1500.

And I don't know your most recent Terceira ancestors, so can't really say what
our closest link might be.
You did once mention your Drummond line, but I don't know the parents of Teresa
Lopes, who might not both be from Terceira, since she was from Rio. That is the
only blank area that might have a line that is closer than the others.

I don't have enough research completed on all your lines - most are into the
middle 1700s and though I might have their ancestors, I don't know the links
between them. And I also see Adriana Drummond's mother, Maria Teodora, I don't
know about her yet. Again, there could be a link there.

In summary, there are many holes and I can't yet answer you.
But like Airoso above, we also have another theoretical connection from the
name Leonardes. The same Pacheco line also goes back to the Leonardes family
and that ultimately leads to one of the original settlers of Terceira during
the time of Jacome de Bruges in 1451. His name was Joao Leonardes, of Flanders,
I believe (off the top of my head), born in an estimated 1405 (I just checked
that one). He was one of the four named Joao.

I have Goncalves Leonardo in Sao Bento, and just about everyone who has Sao
Bento and Ribeirinha (next door) ancestry has this same Goncalves Leonardo
line. There was a huge court battle between descendants of this family who had
property (lots of property) in Sao Sebastiao, and I don't know enough details,
but from this court battle we learned a lot more about the descendants. They
include the Lopes Cabaco family.

>From my notes, here is a quote from the book by your ancestor:

"Anais da Ilha Terceira" volume I, by
Francisco Ferreira Drummond, (reprinted in 1981 from the original 1850
edition), it says on pg.39:

  "Pelo mesmo tempo se estabeleceu no Arrabalde da villa de S. Sebastião o
referido João Leonardes, casado com Catharina Dias, de quem teve muitos
filhos, e parece tomou ali a sua primeira data nas immediações do Pico da
Mina, á Ribeira Sêcca."

And looking more, I see you have an Aguiar family which must connect to my own
Aguiar line, since it's the original line for all named Aguiar in Terceira,
presumably.

I see a LUCAS surname from Altares that probably connects to my Lucas from
Altares another generation or two back (into the middle 1500s).

That's about it, pending more info on the blanks I need to fill.

Atenciosamente,

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist