From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Cheri Mello
Sent: Sunday, September 1, 2013 7:52 PM
To: Azores Genealogy
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Esteves/Steves

Courtney L,

Yes, you have to train your eye.

The names are capitalized and never written lower case.  For the time period
you are researching, you will want to get all the siblings as well.  It will
help build your tree and connect to other researchers and it will help train
your eye.  If you are searching the 1880s, you will notice all the names
about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way through the document.  They will be preceded
with the words "filho legitimo" or "filha legitima."

The thing with "filho legitimo" or "filha legitima," is letter height.
f,l,h in filho/a and the l,g,t in legitimo/a all stick up or down below the
other letters. Many times they are quite slanted and somewhat flourishy
(penmanship style of the period).  This is kind of hard to explain in an
email.  When I get my scanner up, I'll send an image to this list of what I
am trying to describe.

When you get back to the middle of the 1800s, the names are right on the
top.  Then you have to wade through for the date.  By then, you'll be real
good at names.

Good luck,

Achada

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right