Joao,
 
Thank you for this information. What's the name of the Shipwrecking book and 
perhaps I can get it through inter library loan when I get back to the states. 
Also, thanks for the link.....will spend some time looking at it later today 
since it's pouring here in Pico I must remain indoors!
 
I've always been intrigued by these pirate in the Azores stories since one of 
our family histories spoke directly to them. At this point I have my doubts 
about the veracity of the story. My maternal great grandfather, Jose de Sousa 
Pereira Mancebo, from Sao Jorge was said to have been sent down to the dock in 
Velas to buy a fish and was taken captive by pirates and held as a cabin boy 
who never saw his family or homeland again. He was born in 1838 and I did find 
him listed in the whaling records through New Bedford as a cabin boy on a 
whaling ship in 1853. (I don't have access to all of my records over here but I 
think it was 1853 0r there about.) I think it's more probable that it was 
whalers instead of pirates and he may or may not have been "taken" against his 
will. He remained on whaling ships until jumping ship off the coast of New 
Bedford around 1865 where he lived the rest of his life, marrying a woman sent 
over from Pico with whom he had 12 children. ( I always think another 
descendent will show up in the group).
 
The other reason I've been so interested in these circumstances with pirates is 
that when I was spending day after day searching the Sao Jorge records for my 
paternal great grandfather, Antonio Teixeira Baptista, I read every single 
village for the decade of 1830. I was amazed at the number of exposto's and 
incognito's. I wish I had access to my records right now because off hand I 
don't remember which village or if it was back into the earlier 1800's or even 
late 1700's but I was startled to see almost every single baptism was an 
exposto or incognito.....mostly exposto's. It could have been during the 
invasion by the Spanish since I'm sure raping and pillaging were rampant during 
those times as well and that was around 1830 or 1832 if I remember correctly.
 
Thanks again for the info and reference,
 
Nancy Jean Baptista
FTDNA volunteer co-administrator
Researching:
Santa Maria: Cabral, Moreira, Andrade and Coelho
Sao Jorge: de Sousa Pereira, Teixeira Baptista, Silveira de Lemos, Sousa 
Machado, Silveira Leonardes, Enos, Veterino, de Quadros, Neto
Pico: Furtado Cardoso, Silva, de Castro, Costa Nunes, Peixoto, Melo, Dutra, 
Bettencourt, Goulart, Moniz, Ferreira, Serpa
Fayal: Abreu, Goulart
 
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 00:56:38 -0700
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: FTDNA: Got Mozabite genes?

Nancy,
I'd believe all islands were raided quite often. Even mainland Portugal was 
raided occasionally. I'd guess Flores and Corvo were more commonly raided, as 
they were more isolated and harder to defend. From a Shipwrecking book 
published by  Francisco Gomes,I see that Flores and Corvo were attacked by 
pirates in 1536, 1537, 1549, 1567, 1587, 1590, 1592, 1609, 1616, 1632, 1635, 
1644, 1654, 1719, 1770, 1818. Probably more, I wasn't reading all the entries. 
The one in 1719 was especially bad. They captured at least 3 of my wife's 
ancestors. Piracy was tolerated by every nation until about 1800. At that time, 
the US Congress decided not to pay the usual bribe to the Barbary pirates, 
started the US Navy and put it to good use in North Africa. See 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_Wars
There's a PhD thesis in Portuguese with a list of rescued captives: 
http://repositorium.sdum.uminho.pt/handle/1822/13440. The lists of captives 
rescued start at page 432, and besides the name of the person rescued, it also 
indicates their origin, age, and the numbers of years they were captive.
Regards,
João Ventura
On Monday, September 30, 2013 10:19:32 PM UTC+2, nancy jean baptiste wrote:


What are the years that most of this occurred and which islands were most 
raided?
 
Nancy Jean
 
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: FTDNA: Got Mozabite genes?
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:00:02 -0700

No doubt about that. A certain percentage of the expostos and single mother's 
having kids must be from that circumstance.

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618www.dholmes.com




-------- Original Message --------

Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: FTDNA:  Got Mozabite genes?

From: João_Ventura <[email protected]>

Date: Mon, September 30, 2013 10:53 am

To: [email protected]



Or in a very unpleasant aspect of it, maybe one of his ancestors was raped by 
one of the Barbary Pirates that paid regular visits to the Azores.
João Carlos Ventura

On Monday, September 30, 2013 3:08:30 PM UTC+2, Eileen Leite wrote:This dna 
testing is very interesting! My husband shows Mozabite genetic markers. North 
African dessert people. We assume it entered his line during the Moorish 
conquest of the Iberian Peninsula, but are open to other ideas.  Our children 
think this has a really high ‘cool’ factor, haha.  We are wondering how common 
this is in the group, I’d guess pretty high?  Eileen Leite 
 






-- 

For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

--- 

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
                                          





-- 

For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

--- 

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
                                          

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to