Hi Ed.
My parent's families are also from Flores & I find the records challenging
because of clarity more than not being able to read Portuguese.  I don't
know about the surname Anthony or Antonio but my relatives have that as a
first name & the last name Miguel (which is really a first name as is
Anthony).  Their surname is also listed as da Freitas with the Miguel, &
sometimes used alone.  I also have Nicolau as a first name for my 2nd great
grandfather.  I would play around with some of my surnames & use Antonio or
Antone as a first name.  You have given me a great idea for mine & that is
to use my Antonio as a last name.  Thanks!  They often switched names
around; e.g., the father would be Joao Antonio & the son would be Antonio
Joao.  Good luck!