If we as a group decides not to collaborate/contribute, I would like to be in contact with this person.

Adair
On Dec 19, 2013, at 9:41 AM, Marcia wrote:

We have been approached by a researcher tasked with updating a book about the Portuguese settlers in Mendocino County, California, who are all primarily from the Azores. We have determined that she is legitimate and has been tasked by the local historical society which owns the rights to the original book. We support the project very much, and do plan to help, as the original book contains quite a few errors and omissions and has been out of print for years. However, the researcher intends to create a Public Ancestry Tree for each of the families to aid in collaboration with the descendents of the families. We are not really keen on seeing our years of research placed on Ancestry, as we've all experienced issues with how information can be mis-used, exploited, etc. from Ancestry. At a minimum we would not allow her to use data about living people on the internet.

We'd like to know what members of the group think about this. Has anything similar happened to you? Is your work on Ancestry? What pros and cons can you think of? I haven't discussed this with the researcher yet, wanting to hear your thoughts first.

Thanks very much for anything you can offer - Marcia Andre

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---