Liliana,
I wasn't trying to discourage you, I know how hard it is to research when no
one knows the person you're researching. Asking a lot of good questions in the
wrong places can have the effect of wearing down the most enthusiastic
researcher. You don't want that to happen.

 Lets see if there is a source we can tap...   Family friends - are talking too
far back, or may there be some of John's friends still living. If John was an
active member of the church, perhaps, he discussed his roots with some of the
other members. Social or religious organizations? Persons with whom he may have
bonded with... If he was a American Citizen, some of the early records recorded
many more details that the records require today.