Hi,

I checked Domingos birth and his father was Antonio de Sousa Nunes and not
Antonio de Faria Nunes

Marcio Borba
Feel the Azores... visit http://azorean-roots.blogspot.com

Em Domingo, 2 de Março de 2014 16:28, Steve <woodrowme...@gmail.com> escreveu:

Marcio Borba,

I hope your offer still stands after 6 years, offering help with genealogy of
the parish of Topo, Sao Jorge (your post at http://goo.gl/XINOze).

I am seeking information on Bartolomeu Teixeira Brasil and wife Maria do
Rosario, unknown birth and death dates. They are godparents to my great
grandfather, Domingos Teixeira Nunes 1852-1914, whose lineage is also lacking.

My sister and I recently received results from Family Finder DNA tests that
suggest relatedness to the godparents, which aided in finding two of their
children with good confidence, in turn resulting in a distant relation (see
below).

Thanks,
Steve

Background Details, If Needed

Domingos Teixeira Nunes
    Birth 3 Aug 1852 in Nova do Topo, Sao Jorge, Azores, Portugal
    Death 17 May 1914 in Hayward, Alameda, California, USA

Eric Edgar found and translated his baptism record (see http://goo.gl/RqWihq
for original):

"Domingos son of Antonio de Faria Nunes and his wife Mariana Victorina.
Paternal grandparents are Joao Nunes and his wife Anna da Conceicao. Maternal
grandparents are Amaro Teixeira Lopes and his wife Maria Santos d’Oliveira.
Natives of the Freguesia of Matriz de Nossa Senhora do Rosario of the Vila Nova
do Topo, Island of Sao Jorge. Born the 3rd and baptized the 22nd day of August
1852. [illegible, but this is the priest] is Jose Ignacio Machado Benificiado
of [illegible]. Godparents are Bartolomeu Teixeira Brasil and his wife Maria do
Rosario. [last line illegible]. Signed, Benificiado Jose Ignacio Machado."

I found little beyond what is in his baptism record. The link to the godparents
resulted in a very distant relationship via children, "father-in-law of
sister-in-law of husband of grand aunt":

Joaquin T Brazil
    Birth Dec 1856 in Azores, Portugal
    Death 13 Nov 1938 in Santa Cruz County, California, USA
Julio T Brazil
    Birth 13 Sep 1869 in Sao Jorge, Azores, Portugal
    Death 25 Jun 1929 in Lemoore, Kings, California, USA

Yet considerable evidence points to more relationships between myself and
Domingos' godparents, and I believe this is how I could crack Domingos Teixeira
Nunes' lineage.

This is my only information on Bartolomeu Teixeira Brasil:

Dec 1894 From Sao Jorge news section in The Uniao Portuguese:
"Wednesday last was 'chamarrita' in home of wealthy farmer Mr. Bartholomew
Teixeira Brasil. They danced excitedly until 5 o'clock in the morning."

1995 From 'They Shall Not Be Forgotten - Pioneers of Kings County, California':
Maria do Rosario listed with different name as mother of Julio T Brazil,
"Birthplace: Azores...Father: B T Brazil, born in Azores. Mother MN: Maria
Souza, born in Azores."

7 Nov 2008 From diarioInsular.com - Edition of Thursday 20 Nov 2008, pg 12:
A "Certidão" notice by a Notary of Calheta, Sao Jorge, regarding property and
two Canadians, including this paragraph:
"Prédio urbano composto por casa telhada, dependência e quintal, com a área de:
superfície coberta de quarenta metros quadrados, dependência trinta e seis
metros quadrados e quintal com cinquenta metros quadrados, sito Santo Antão,
referida freguesia de Santo Antão, a confrontar a norte e poente com Caminho,
sul com herdeiros de Bartolomeu Teixeira Brasil e nascente com Canada de
Servidão, inscrito na matriz sob o artigo 436o,da referida freguesia de Santo
Antão, com o valor patrimonial de e183,96 omisso na Conservatória do registo
Predial de Calheta São Jorge."

2010 From GeneAll.net Forum at http://goo.gl/6amnVG (scroll down)
RE: António Teixeira Brasil - Ilha de São Jorge 16-03-2010
Autor: Pataco1970
Caro Miguel,
    Tenho interesse em conhecer a ascendencia de Teixeira Brasil do Topo, que
viveram em Santo Antão e que vem a ser donos do ilheu do Topo.
    Particularmente interessado num Bartolomeu Teixeira Brasil.
Agradeço ajuda.
    Em relação a referencia a idade tenho ideia até pelos recenceamentos que se
faziam que os anos eran dados mais ou meno. Pode muit bem ter encontrado o seu
parente.
- Paulo teixeira
[there was no revealing response]

2014 From blog at http://goo.gl/6t4KuW
Topic is "History of Santo Antao"
[I make out that] Bartolomeu Teixeira Brasil was appointed Administrator
(Provost?), and lived in the house located in triangle of land east of the
church [Santo Antao], and he is one of the owners of the Islet? of Topo [likely
the small islet of coast, and not the journal].