Cheri, and others who may choose to comment:

Now that Santa Maria is at long last online, we are presented with a new
problem, one that most of you have possibly previously faced.  Namely, an
universally accepted way of documenting each image, so that others may
easily find the same image.

I understand that most just use the digital address as given by CCA
(example below).  To do so is fine, as long as CCA is online, and does not
change their system.  But this format would probably be unacceptable to any
book editor.

[
http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-SANTABARBARA-B-1822-1834/SMA-VP-SANTABARBARA-B-1822-1834_item1/P70.html
]