Hi Manuel,

My ancestor was born somewhere around 1585, but I certainly could be off by 20 years and if so, he could have been amongst those Terceirenses you mentioned who fought the Spaniards.

I don't think he was still a soldier when I find him in records from about 1620s.

I just checked and since he is the only person I've ever recorded as "lutador" I think Cheri and you are right that it's an alcunha and not his occupation.

Obrigado,

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618
www.dholmes.com


-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] occupation = Lutador
From: Manuel Martins <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, March 25, 2014 2:07 pm
To: [email protected]


When was the 'lutador' born?  If you remember, Portugal was under Spanish dominance from 1580 to 1640, in Terceira when the Spanish tried to land the people fought and released the bulls after the Spaniards, I wonder if this individual fought and was nicked named 'lutador'.

Also, the kings used many of the Azoreans to fight in the wars, he could have been on of these soldiers.

Boxing was/is not practiced in the Azores, but one can never tell.  Back in the early 1900's basketball was played a lot. 

On 3/25/2014 3:20 AM, [email protected] wrote:
I would love to hear the opinion of some native speakers about my ancestor from the 1600s whose occupation is mentioned as "lutador."

It is defined as fighter or wrestler, but in a society (Terceira) where people are more concerned with feeding their families than entertainment, could this really be the meaning? Maybe a bull fighter, since Terceira does have them these days. But I was thinking maybe it's more like a soldier which is usually listed as soldado.

Obrigado,

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618
--
 

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to