Hi Cheri and Ricardo,
My story is similar to Cheri's. My parents both worked so I spend a great
deal of time with my grandparents who immigrated the early 1900's. My
grandfather came via Santa Maria, Bermuda, back to Santa Maria for his
bride, and then to California. He and his brother kept the name de
Figueiredo. My grandparents didn't speak or write when they came, but at
least one of their father's did, at least enough to be able to spell their
name correctly (I believe it was probably my grandmother). They came to
California because she had an uncle who lived there and got my grandfather
a job. He spoke better English because he was in the work force, but my
grandmother went to school to become a citizen. I remember helping my
grandfather study for his driving test. Since he could not read or write
they just tested his ability to know the traffic signs. Somehow he always
passed! I have seen records of my great uncle listed as D Figueiredo
instead of de Figueiredo and some listed correctly. To say the least the
name is often mispelled. My grandparents spoke in English to me, but I am
sure they spoke Portuguese to each other. When I first got interested in
genealogy and trying to learn a little Portuguese I felt much like Cheri's
father (it was familar). I took Spanish in high school but never was
enamored with the language. I wonder how it would have been if Portuguese
had been offered. My Bermuda cousins all dropped the de Figueiredo and used
Soares which has been quite a problem for me, but it doesn't seem to matter
to them. They also Anglicized all of the names. José became Joe, João
became John etc. My grandfather did use Ben instead of Bernardino and I
found out my grandmother used Bertha sometimes, however I never knew her as
anything but Bernardina. The Bermudians also use St. Michael, St. Mary, and
St. George. So... it just depends on your relatives.
I guess my point is there is no right and wrong. Just as language changes
so do names. I try to keep the names as Portuguese names and then write
notes as to the changes that obviously occurred.
Tish

sfig
Researching
Island: Santa Maria