Hi,

I will be attending the Azores research conference week after next in Salt
Lake City and am certainly looking forward to it.

Along those lines, I'm trying to do some preparatory work on my main
Azorean research target.  My great grandfather John Joseph Sylvia was
reportedly born on Graciosa on Dec. 6, 1845.  According to the U.S. Census
he possibly immigrated in 1873 (according to the 1920 census) or 1884
(according to the 1910 census).  He eventually settled in Yreka in northern
California.  He married in 1889 and died in Yreka in 1932.  He is buried
with his wife, Caroline Lemos, in the St. Joseph Cemetery (link:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=sylvia&GSiman=1&GScid=2158169&GRid=106395488&;
).

On Ancestry I found some shipping references to a sailor John Sylvia of
about the right age in the 1865-1875 timeframe so he may have been a sailor
for awhile before moving to California. One good example is 1869, the
vessel "Eagle" sailing from Havana to New York.

I don't know how to use the CCA and other research tools but I'm sure I
will learn more on the trip.  So, my question for now is what are some good
tools I can use to try to find something about his birth in Graciosa and/or
his early life before settling in California?

I have taken the atDNA test through Ancestry and have posted my DNA record
up on GEDMatch (Kit # A979857).

Thanks!

Ken Waters

--