Sort of, Helen.
Before Doze Ribeiras changed from just an ermida to a freguesia, it was part of Santa Barbara das Nove Ribeiras, as you probably know. Mine are from Santa Barbara.
I was wondering why you asked, so I noticed one of your husband's Cota lines and I can't yet prove we are related by that one, but suspect our common ancestors from that line are Baltazar Goncalves and Maria Cota in the middle 1500s.
But I see we do have common Cota ancestors from Catarina Cota and husband Pedro Lucas from the middle 1600s. I don't remember whether I ever mentioned that before. That appears to be about the closest of our links.
Did you ever get him to do a Family Finder DNA test? That would be interesting to see if our match also shows we have matching DNA, as well.
Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618
---------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Bishop Myron Cotta
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, April 01, 2014 7:33 pm
To: [email protected]
Doug,Are your Cotta's from Doze Ribeiras?Helen-----Original Message-----
From: terceira <[email protected]>
To: azores <[email protected]>
Sent: Mon, Mar 31, 2014 10:46 pm
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Bishop Myron Cotta
I just read in the latest issue of O Progresso (by the Portuguese Historical Society of Sacramento) about the new Bishop Myron Cotta.
Any chance that someone knows about his link to the Azores? It says his grandparents were immigrants and I assume they were from Terceira, since that's where most named Cotta are from (now spelled as Cota).
I would like to find my own link to his family, since I have lots of Cota ancestors from Terceira.
Obrigado,
Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618Website: www.dholmes.com
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

