Perhaps, you're dealing with an area that's a hotbed of Satanic activity 
:) But, seriously, this was my first event, and, I just didn't know what to 
make of it - but, I did recall my catholic school days when the priest 
would come into class, and give us a dose of that old time religion - that 
was the first time I heard about exorcism. I believe I was 7y/o at the time.

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 1:32:57 AM UTC-4, Doug da Rocha Holmes wrote:
>
> Dano,
>
> I've encountered the mention of exorcism at baptism countless times. Maybe 
> 10,000? I have no idea.
> I haven't paid attention to the time period, but know it's in the 1700s 
> when the wording got more verbose. Maybe also 1800s.
>
> Doug da Rocha Holmes
> Sacramento, California
> Pico & Terceira Genealogist
> 916-550-1618
> www.dholmes.com
>
>
>  -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Help with reading a record
> From: Dano <[email protected] <javascript:>>
> Date: Tue, April 08, 2014 9:11 pm
> To: [email protected] <javascript:>
>
> Hi Margaret, that is an excellent explanation. As for my earlier remarks, 
> this was the first time that I encountered the mention of exorcism in what 
> should have a baptism, and I was taken aback. We don't know what the 
> condition of the child was, but, it must have been grave, for the parents 
> to take the day old child to the church to be baptized. Once again thanks 
> for your explanation - it does correspond to what I was taught so many 
> years ago... 
>
>  
> On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:47:35 PM UTC-4, Mara wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>  
>> Every child or adult that is baptized is also exorcised.  Before the 
>> baptism there is the exorcism. Any baptized Catholic has been exorcised. 
>> All rushed baptisms performed in the homes were later on completed in the 
>> church by the priest's performing the exorcism and applying the holy oils.  
>>  
>> Exorcism is a symbolic cleansing by verbal affirmation of acceptance of 
>> faith and renunciation of all that is not of G-d spoken by the Godparents 
>> and all others attending on behalf of the child and in response to the 
>> Priest's questions. 
>>  
>> The action of exorcism is not tied in to an era.  It is part of each 
>> baptism of the Catholic church. First the cleansing, 2nd the anointment 
>> with the oils, and third the name giving and dipping of water.  
>>  
>> Hope this helps.
>>  
>>   
>>
>  

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to