> I have a little experience with this for San Francisco.  Yes, Catholics
> did get divorced prior to 1900.  I have a French relative who was Roman
> Catholic.  She came to SF in 1880, married and had a kid, and then the guy
> deserted her.  I was able to find record of the divorce based on desertion
> in the SF Call newspaper in 1884.

I don't know if the church condoned it, but it happened most assuredly.  I
do not believe they were involved in any way.  As for official records,
California did not start official reporting until 1905.  So, the records
you seek will be at the city or county level.   San Francisco did have
divorce records, but I believe the earthquake and fire wiped them out.
Newspapers can fill the gap as they had to be publicly reported.