Here  are links to Robert Santos's excellent study and stories on the
migrations. You might find your immigrant ancestors' story here. I did!

 Robert L. Santos
California State University, Stanislaus
Librarian/Archivis
Azoreans to California: A History of Migration and Settlement

http://wwwlibrary.csustan.edu/bsantos/azorean.html

Stories of California Azorean Immigrants    *An Anthology of Personal Life
Sketches*

http://wwwlibrary.csustan.edu/bsantos/sketches.html

Eric Edgar