She could have been hired and sponsored by someone.
Just one of a few scenarios.
Hermano

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 07:53:11 -0700
From: azores@googlegroups.com
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] emigration from Sao Jorge

Under what circumstances or conditions would a single female emigrant travel in
1896 from Sao Jorge via Terceira to Ellis Island?  Would she have been in a
group, with familiar people, traveling to ultimate destination (California)?
We've got her passport and ship manifest.  It seems that the group going to
California received passports and disembarked in New York together, but we
haven't found family connections between them.

Also, are there any travel records (train perhaps) after leaving Ellis Island,
traveling across the US?