My GEDCOM is posted on Family Tree DNA, but, like Seekgene, I had a lot of
difficulty.  My particular problem is that I have more than one name for
many of the individuals in my tree--Portuguese names, American names,
middle names, religious names, nicknames, etc.  I thought the GEDCOM would
pick up the preferred name in each instance, but apparently (and I
researched this at the time) the GEDCOM process is not sophisticated enough
to do that, and the result is totally random.

Here's an example:  When I first started researching I couldn't find my
father's name on a ship's list, even though I knew the year he had
immigrated and the name of the ship.  I finally found it by searching on
the Portuguese version of his first name, Eduardo, for that ship and that
year.  It turned out that my father, his mother, and all his siblings were
listed under the surname "Oosto." And it was a typed list, but obviously
the keys needed cleaning and the indexer was in a hurry.  I kept that
alternate name in my database, because if I ever wanted to find that list
again I would need to search under "Oosto."  Well, when I made my GEDCOM my
father's name appeared as "Eduardo Oosto."

Since I didn't want to remove all the alternate names from my database, my
solution was to create a new file specifically for the GEDCOM, and that
involved a lot of editing.  And I can't easily update my GEDCOM without
doing a lot more editing.  The fault is in the way GEDCOMs work, not in our
stars.

Nancy