I'm going to come at this from a different direction--how it affects my
ability to work with my genealogy software database.  As I depend on my
database a lot to find people, it's important that I think through how I
might search for them.  For awhile, I was doing first middle surname when
their were compound surnames.  But, what I found is it is really frustating
to scroll through 300 people with the Pacheco surname, 10-20 of them in
groups with all the same first names and I have to figure out which is the
Pacheco Barbosa.  (For instance, Pacheco, Joao; Pacheco, Joao Barbosa,
Pacheco, Joao Francisco...)  I found I do not like it.

Since RootsMagic gives me considerable leeway with surnames and allows me
to create alternative names very easily, I've decided recently to go back
to compound surnames in the surname field only.  If the person has a true
middle name, I use it in the middle name field.  Or, if it is a female
where she is recorded with a religious name but also her surname, I put the
religious name in the middle name field.  If I feel I need to identify it
in multiple ways for ease in finding the person, then I add an alternative
name field.  (RootsMagic allows those to be searchable or not)

Also, when the name is something like Francisco de Braga, I input it as
Francisco de (first name) and Braga (surname).  This is probably odd to
others, but I would rather have my database file them under Braga than
under "de" which might be hundreds and hundreds of people.

This probably isn't the accepted way, but I find this is what works for
me.