Hi Helen,

Speaking of Machado da Rocha in Ribeirinha, I noticed one of particular interest.

He was Vice-Vigario Sebastiao Machado da Rocha e Silveira in Ribeirinha, Terceira in 1837.

But I see I already have him in my records and he was from a different Machado da Rocha family in Altares.
That one created the Machado da Rocha surname combo from different ancestors than did yours.

He was serving in Ribeirinha for most of his life.

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618
www.dholmes.com


-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Francisca Parreira 01/19/1880
From: hisalv via Azores Genealogy <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, October 03, 2014 3:48 pm
To: [email protected]

Nancy
I don't know if he has any Sao Miguel ancestors.  I have never research that island for any.  As for Joe's,  Salvador da Rocha, their GGrand parents were from Piedade, Pico.  The name was Domingos Vieira and Maria Pereira.  Records don't go back far enough to find anything about them.
Helen S.
Fremont, CA
 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Nancy Couto <[email protected]>
To: azores <[email protected]>
Sent: Thu, Oct 2, 2014 7:42 pm
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Francisca Parreira 01/19/1880

Doug, is Salvador Machado da Rocha a descendant of Pedro Esteves Rocha e Machado (or da Rocha Machado--I've seen it both ways) who was born in Viana do Castelo and came to Sao Miguel by way of Madeira after committing a murder in Portugal.  He was given land in Agua d'Alto, fertile land between two volcanos, and he became very wealthy.  He is my 15th great-grandfather.  I descend from his son Afonso Anes da Rocha Machado, and I know I read somewhere, probably in Saudades da Terra, that his other children went to other islands and were fruitful and multiplied.  At least one son went to Terceira.

Helen, I have a Family Finder match with Joseph Antone Salvador at the 5th to remote cousin level.  This could be the link.  I note that he has Bonito and Couto on his list of surnames.  Bonito is the alcunha of my Couto family.  Does Joseph have any links to Sao Miguel?

I have to get back to Gaspar Frutuoso and see what I can figure out.  My reading knowledge of Portuguese is good enough for vital records and menus, but Saudades da Terra is slow going.

Nancy


On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 8:22 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
Helen and Anthony,

And there's more.

Francisca married to her 2nd cousin, once removed and their common ancestors are Salvador Machado da Rocha, whose first name is the origin for your husband's surname! So not only is Francisca your cousin, but so is her husband. :-)

One more thing I noticed at a glance. Anthony is related to another list member, Doreen Caetano Jungk by some common Canto ancestors from around the 1800 time frame. And I'm related to Doreen and to your husband.

One could get dizzy from all that.

Actually, I believe Anthony said these are his wife's ancestors.

Doug da Rocha Holmes
Sacramento, California
Pico & Terceira Genealogist
916-550-1618
www.dholmes.com


-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Francisca Parreira 01/19/1880
From: hisalv via Azores Genealogy <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, October 02, 2014 4:23 pm
To: [email protected]

Antonio, After the name after Jose da Rocha Machado is Salvador, his wife is Maria da Esperanca. They are my husband's Great Grandparents.
 
Helen Salvador
Fremont, CA
 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Martin <[email protected]>
To: azores <[email protected]>
Sent: Thu, Oct 2, 2014 11:40 am
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Francisca Parreira 01/19/1880

On the bottom right of record 24 on page http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-B-1890-1899/TER-AH-RIBEIRINHA-B-1890-1899_item1/P9.html shows the name Jose de Rocha, but I can't make out what it says immediately after the name. Also, entry number 2 in the margin appears to read that she died on 11/20/1960, but I can't quite make out the month. On the following page it shows that something happened on 06-25-1982, but I can't read the writing to make out what it says. I think it says that the birth record was requested on that date, but I'm not exactly sure.

Would someone be able to help with these records?
--

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to