I find it revolting that work that clearly is supported by the Portuguese
tax-payers is not available to them for free (I'm a German tax-payer, so in
theory I should also get free access, since I end up paying, but I digress
:) ).

All this work is done by researchers in the  Institute of Molecular
Pathology and Immunology of the University of Porto (IPATIMUP), and none of
their work is available from their website.. I hate the fact that science
publishers make money every other way: the science is paid by the
institutions, when an article is accepted the authors need to pay several
thousand euros to have it published, the peer reviewers all work for free,
and in the end the subscription to the journal costs a small fortune. In
that sense, the recent statement by the Bill Gates foundation that all work
sponsored by them should be freely available, should be followed by the
Portuguese Goverment.

João C. Ventura
http://tombo.pt/en