It seems that every day I am looking at records on the CCA or Tombo site and
recording information in my genealogy program.  Part of genealogy is to back
up your information with sources in order to refer back to where you got the
information.

 

Here in the United States we are accustomed to books having page numbers on
every page both sides.  For example the on the back of page 32 is page 33
and opposite page 33 is page 34. You get the idea. When we go to the church
records at CCA the page numbers are what would seem to us only on every
other page if we identify it with the numbering system we are used to.

 

Not having any formal tutoring when I began doing genealogy I only did what
made sense to me at the time and as a result I would identify my source as
this example:  Nossa Senhora da Estrela Church Marriages, 1799-1812 page
number 33 left side.  

 

I cannot think of the water shed moment but perhaps it was working with some
N. S. Ajuda records from Bretanha. The book was rebound with all the pages
out of order so what I previously would have identified as Page 33 left
might actually be the back side of page 68. Thus enters confusion. 

 

After much thought and consideration I have begun identifying my sources the
following way:   Nossa Senhora da Estrela Church Marriages, 1799-1812 page
number 32, reverse side.  As a help when looking for a record in order to
verify some information I have added CCA image number ####.  In this method
I can go directly to the correct source without wading through several
records and using up time. 

 

I realize that the image number may not be of use in the future as websites
change and technology changes But for the present it is a helpful notation
to include.

 

So my current way of identifying sources are Church (which includes
freguesia): Nossa Senhora da Estrela Church, Ribeira Grande, Ribeira Grande,
Sao Miguel, Acores, Portugal. The type of record and year: Marriages
1799-1812. The page number and side: Page number 32, front side/reverse
side: In the case of pages that have more than one entry I add: upper
entry/lower entry/third entry and so on. In latter records where records are
added on as needed I site the page where the record starts and note the
entry number and year: Page number 32, reverse side, entry number 36 for the
year 1875. 

 

What I try and do is be consistent in citing my sources in the same format.

 

I realize that many of us as myself have very large data bases and sources
which have been done in a different manner. I am by no means advocating that
we should go back and redo them but just accept it as is but I have changed
to this method in all the new records I cite sources on. Perhaps educating
new researchers on the methods of sourcing information would be a help to
them and future genealogists.

 

 

 

Rick

 

Richard Francis Pimentel

Epping, NH

 

Researching, Riberia Grande, Riberinha, Achada Grande,  Bretanha, and Ponta
Delgada,  Sao Miguel, Acores

 

 

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to