Thanks Linda for posting this both in Portuguese and the translation; I printed it so I can use it as a guide for myself as I try to read these records. Very helpful. Edna Lemos Epps [email protected] [ISAIAH 26:3] Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, who mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
On Feb 18, 2015, at 11:03 AM, linda <[email protected]> wrote: Hi Mary, Your transcription and translation is excellent. Here's my transcription with some clarifying points in red: 1. Aos vinte e sete dias do mez de Septembro do 2. anno de mil oitocentos setenta e quatro, nesta Egreja Paroochial 3. de Sam Mattheus, Concelho da Magdalena, Ilha do Pico Diocese 4. de Angra baptizei solemnemente hum individuo do sexo mas- 5. culino, aquem dei o nome de JACINTHO, e que nascio nesta 6. Freguesia as trez horas da tarde do dia desesete do corrente 7. mez, e anno, filho legitimo do Manoel Pereira Evangelho, agr- 8. cultor, natural desta Freguesia, e de Rita Luiza, empregada 9. no governo domestico, natural de Freguesia das Bandeiras, des- 10. ta mesmo Concelho, e Diocese, em cuja Freguesia se receber??, 11. e paraochiamos desta Fregueisa de Sam Mattheus, moradores do lugar 12. da Prayha do Galleao desta mesma Freguesia, neto paterno do Ma- 13. noel Pereira Evangelho, e do Maria Thereza, e materna do Francisco 14. Garcia, e de Maria Anna. Foi padrinho Antonio [?????] Madruga [I think], 15. solteiro, maritimo, e madrinha Marianna Luzia, solteira; os qua- 16. es todos foi serem os proprios. E para constas lavrei em dupli- 17. cado esta assento, que depos de sertido, e conferido perante os pad[??] 18. nhos comigo nao assignarao por nao sabem escriver. Era ut Supra 19. Vigario Andre Avelhino [Avellino?] de Sousa and translation: 1. On the twenty seventh day of the month of September of 2. the year 1874, in this Parochial Church 3. of Sao Matheus, District of Magdalena, Pico Island, Diocese 4. of Angra, I solemnly baptized an individual of the masculine 5. sex, who I gave the name Jacintho, and who was born in this 6. Parish at 3 o'clock in the afternoon on the 17th day of the current 7. month, and year, legitimate son of Manoel Pereira Evangelho, farmer, 8. native of this Parish, and of Rita Luiza, employed 9. in [the] domestic governance [of her house], native of the Parish of Bandeiras, of this 10. same District, and Diocese, in which Parish they were married 11. and [they are] Parishoners of this Parish of Sao Matheus, [and] residents of the locale 12. of Praia do Galleao of this same Parish, paternal grandson of 13. Manoel Pereira Evangelho, and of Maria Thereza, and maternal of Francisco 14. Garcia, and of Maria Anna. [The] godfather was Antonio ?????? Madruga [not sure], 15. single, sailor, and godmother Marianna Luzia, single; 16. os quaes todos foi serem os propios. E para constas lavrei em duplicado 17. esta assento, que depos de sertido, e conferido perante this section is more or less standard wording attesting that the ceremony [and all religious/legal requirements] was properly completed 18. os padrinhos comigo nao assignarao por nao sabem escriver The godparents here with me did not sign [the baptismal register] because they do not know how to write 18. Era ut Supra = Latin for "it was as above", i.e., an attestation that the baptism described above occurred as stated 19. Vigario = Vicar "hum individuo": "hum"and "huma" are archaic forms of "um" and "uma" I'm not a native speaker, so please everyone please forgive the typos and errors in transcriptions-- especially with respect to the verb forms and tenses-- and I'm unfamiliar with the locations, so there may be errors with those as well best wishes, Linda On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 4:25:54 PM UTC-8, Mary Pimentel Wheeler wrote: I finally found a record in somewhat legible handwriting (yay!!), so I'm trying my very first translation from Portuguese to English. I had trouble making out some of the words, and cannot find translations for others (using Google Translate). If anyone has the time, I would really appreciate a review of my translation, and some help with the pertinent facts. I've attached the document I'm working from - with the images of the records and my (attempt) at writing it out and translating. Key facts I take from this translation: Jacintho Evangelho (My maternal Great Grandfather) Baptized 27 Sept 1984, Church of San Mattheus, Madelena, Pico Legitimate son of Manuel Pereira Evangelho (farmer) of this parish, and Maria Luiza (domestic?), a native of Banderias, in whose parish they were received (married?) There is something about residents of Praynha Galleas? He is the paternal grandson of Manuel Pereira Evangelho and Maria Teresa (the mother of Francisco Garcia and Maria Anna? Would these be his maternal aunt & uncle?) The Godfather is Antonio (cannot read last name), who is single and a "maritimo" (sailor?). The Godmother is Mariana Luiza, single and (cannot read the rest) I cannot read or make out the meaning of lines 16-19. Questions I have: First of all,did I get the above facts right? Does this state the date and place of his birth anywhere? Thank you all - this is a great community and I appreciate all the help many of you give to those of us who are trying to learn. -- For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores <http://groups.google.com/group/Azores>. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership." --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>. Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores <http://groups.google.com/group/azores>. -- For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership." --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Azores Genealogy" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

