It appears, as Denise stated, the priest simply omitted, by mistake I
assume, the name of the father. So he was not named. The record says, com
Phelipa de Samtiago e de sua May (may with accent above y, looks like
mother but is error or poorly written) sic mulher Joana da Costa todos
moradores nesta fraguesia onde contrahentes foram baptizados ... If you
look further ahead on other records, you will see a similar abbreviation
for mulher= May with accent above y, whenever the priest appears to be
running out of space.

When Phelipa is born, it appears the parents are not married, as Antonio
Alvares is viuvo, and Joana da Costa, the mother is also not married but
they are "dispensar para cazar" ( intending to marry as near as I can
figure)- She was born Oct 20- 1711, bap- Oct 26- 1711, Pad- Jacome da Ruda
soldado moradore mesma fraguesia...

No parents are listed for either Antonio Alvares or Joana da Costa. Maybe
they never married, but you may as well look for a marriage after the the
child was born.

JR

On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 12:00:23 AM UTC-4, audiosourceinc wrote:

> I think the top record on the right side could be my Felipa do Santiago. I
> have never seen the parents recorded in this manner before. Is it stating
> that the father died before Felipa was born, or is it saying the parents
> were not married and he is a widower? Or maybe something else completely?
>
> Top right
>

> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PD-SAOROQUE-B-1700-1714/SMG-PD-SAOROQUE-B-1700-1714_item1/P158.html

Phelipa, filha de Antonio Alvare viuvo de Joana da Costa