(Cross posted to Azores, Madeira, and IslandRoutes lists)

I had this question about DNA in my inbox and the person was confused about
which DNA projects to join.

The Azores, Madeira, and Cape Verde islands are 3 separate locations. No
one of them owns, rules, or oversees the others.

The Azores and Madeira are autonomous regions of Portugal. Cape Verde used
to be too, but now is its own African nation.

The Azores are made out of 9 islands: Santa Maria, Sao Miguel, Terceira,
Graciosa, Sao Jorge, Pico, Faial, Flores, and Corvo.

Madeira is made out of 2 inhabitable islands: Madeira and Porto Santo

Cape Verde is 10 islands: Santo Antao, Sao Vicente, Santa Luiza, Sao
Nicolau, Sal, Boa Vista, Maio, Santiago, Fogo, and Brava.

If your paper trail goes to one archipelago, that is the DNA project you
join. No need to join all 3 unless you have a paper trail to all 3.

You can kind of think of it being as different as Hawaii and Alaska. Both
are American states. Neither owns the other or is under the jurisdiction of
the other. They are separate states with their own laws. If you had your
genealogy paper trail lead you to Alaska, you wouldn't need to be part of
the Hawaii project too, just because Alaska and Hawaii are not part of the
contiguous 48 states.

Hope this helps clear up some confusion
Cheri Mello
Family Tree DNA Admin (volunteer)