Hi all,

New to list - my ggrandfather Jose da Costa Menezes was born 1900 in
Ribeira Grande and emigrated to America between 1916 and 1918.  Once in
Massachusetts, he married his cousin, Maria das Merces.  She was also from
Ribeira Grande, born in 1903 or 1904.  Her father was Jose da Costa.  Her
mother, I believe, was named Luzia Ledo.  She arrived in New York in 1919
with her father (who had been in America for 12 years, the story handed
down is that he returned to get his daughters after their mother died from
the Spanish flu).  The sisters were Maria Conceicao, Maria des Anjes, and
Luzia.  They left behind a brother, Angelo Costa Menezes.  Waiting for them
in Fall River was Jose da Costa's brother, Gabriel da Costa.  Jose Menezes
and Maria Merces, or Mercedes as we know her, were married in New Bedford
in 1923.  They moved to Cambridge, MA by 1924, where they had a number of
children.  Jose Menezes, or Joseph, died in 1972, Mercedes in 1983.

I have combed the baptisms looking for Jose Menezes - his dob is 9/16/1900
- but did not find him.  Mercedes is a bit more complicated as the date of
birth I have for her is 1902, which we know was not true, but was stated to
make her older so she could work.  (this caused her a problem when she
tried to get Social Security).  I believe it was resolved as 1903, but her
Massachusetts Death Index dob is 1904.  I will have to check both years.
 The date is 5/28.

I'm looking for any confirmation on these families...

thank you!  Kerry Sullivan