Hi all,

I thought I would try and revive this topic of Puerto Rican matches to
Azorean ancestry on FTDNA Family Finder. My Uncle's DNA recently came back
and I have been trying to sift through his matches. His maternal side is
from Madeira, but his Paternal side is from the Azores.

It appears that he has approximately *20* matches with people from Puerto
Rico. I have been in contact with 2 of the matches, and both don't have
ancestry beyond Puerto Rico. Of the few trees that are on FTDNA, they all
still only have lines going back to the beginning of the 1800's in Puerto
Rico.

I was interested in everyone's thoughts about where the Azores to Puerto
Rico connection comes into play. It must be back at least into the 1700's.
Several of the matches are in the 3rd-5th Cousin range and the highest is
approximately 51cM with a longest block of 18cM (2nd-4th cousin estimated
range).

One of the individuals my Uncle matches with the I have corresponded also
stated that an oral history suggested that his mother's paternal side
(Mercado) came from the Canary Islands in the late 1700's. This may help
connect the idea what Doug was saying is the link from the Azores to Puerto
Rico.

David