I’ve been away from my computer and did to not think I could say what I wanted
to say by typing on my phone! I just wanted to say a little about Arline. She
reached out to me years and  years ago when she saw from Rosemarie’s newsletter
that we had a connection.  I had everything to gain by our association as she
was a master researcher.  We went back and forth on so many things!  As it
turned out her father-in-law came over on the same ship with my maternal
grandfather….she asked me if I had a copy of the ship’s manifest (this is way
before all these things were on line!) and when I pulled it out, there was her
father-in-law listed right with my grandfather’s name:) Eventually we
discovered that they were related and Arline talked her by then ex-husband into
testing his Dna as his Y line was one that was one of my direct ancestors.  We
spent so much time working on our common ancestry in the village of Pedro
Miguel, Faial and she was such a whiz!  She was so experienced in reading the
records and whenever I was stumped through the years, I would write to Arline
and she could always figure it out. Arline actually copy machine copied
"Familias Failenses” for me….yes way before all these things came on line.
Over ten years ago, my husband and I spent some time in Pismo Beach and Arline
came over and met us for dinner. It was so wonderful to meet her finally!  As
sometimes thing go in life, we had not written for a long while. I know that I
tried to email her a few times with no response and I was never sure if she has
changed her email or was tired of my questions (NO, I did not think that!).
Anyway, I just wanted to write a little about her here as I considered her to
be one of my teachers extraordinary and a wonderful friend. I cherish the
memories of each new ancestor that we found together!  I am hoping that my own
“fantasies” come true and that Arline is up there meeting all those ancestors
that she worked so hard to find!.

Susan Vargas Murphy