I get this question a lot in regards to FTDNA. It could happen with any
site though. You click the link to email the person, and instead of
launching your email, Windows wants you to use THEIR email client.

With Chrome, they want you to use Gmail (since both are Google products).
Pretend you have AOL. Do a Google search on:
set aol email as default in chrome
Here's one:  http://sstut.com/aolmail/chrome-default-email.php
Substitute your email client in place of AOL.

In Firefox, click the 3 bars in the upper right corner (red circle in the
screen shot), and pick the Options gear. Once that page loads, click
Applications in the left column (yellow circle). Then look for "Mail to" in
the main body. To the right, double click for your email client and a drop
down menu will appear (purple circle).

Since I'm on Windows 10, I don't have Internet Explorer (IE) anymore. It's
Edge. I'd do a Google search on: set XXXX email as default in internet
explorer. Or Edge. Whatever it may be.
Achada