Hi Liz,

Would they issue a certificate for a marriage or perhaps a passport?

It is possible, Antônio will be 24 years. See the marriage on 1835/1836.
Perhaps he needed a dispensation to the mariage (consanguinity).
Perhaps too, to be priest ???
Perhaps to his death and to his heirs ???

Best regrads

Philippe Garnier
Paris - France

http://philippegarnier112.wixsite.com/familiasilhaterceira/copie-de-familias-da-ilha-terceira