In support of John Rapozo's comments, family lore has it that my great
grandfather was a "big shot" in Lagoa, Sao Miguel and in fact many records
have "Barao" after his name.  His father was a fisherman and there are no
"Donas" or "Baraos" anywhere in the earlier records.  I suspect he took the
title to enhance his standing.  For some reason he made a sudden departure
out of town taking his family with him.  Later birth records for more
children have him working in a vineyard with no mention of Barao.
David Perry