Hi Linda,

Certifications on baptism at that time served, according to my own
experience, the same purpose as the obits ones did.  You will note that
only a few of the birth records were  certified.  Were they to be used as
proof of marriage, then most if not all records should have at least one
certification.

Yes, it could be inheritance or other.  A good example of other, would be
"Army" enlistment.  Some times proof of death had to be provided on "
government issued drafts" because parents gave children the same first
names they used to draft even the "dead" ones.  Inter island/mainland
travel movement also required identification in those days

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 1:05 PM, linda <menesesli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Margaret-- that is fascinating.
>
> I have a follow up question on Jeremy's original question.  I assume the
> certificates on the baptisms would have been issued in order to marry, and
> those on the obits would have been issued for purposes of inheritance.  Do
> you know if I'm safe in thinking so?
>
> thanks!
>
> Linda
>
> On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 9:42:47 AM UTC-7, Mara wrote:
>>
>> Jermey, those are certifications.
>>
>> examplified:
>>
>> 1.a cer.dam fora
>> 2.a via
>>
>> via is old writing for fora wich means "issued / extract"
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:21 AM, 'Jeremy G. B-C' via Azores Genealogy <
>> azo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am looking through some records in Calheta on Sao Jorge, and found
>>> that every few entries in the baptismal book the priest adds a little
>>> Va/Via in the margin.
>>>
>>> Examples include:
>>>
>>> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-CH-
>>> CALHETA-B-1803-1812/SJR-CH-CALHETA-B-1803-1812_item1/P78.html
>>> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-CH-
>>> CALHETA-B-1803-1812/SJR-CH-CALHETA-B-1803-1812_item1/P77.html
>>>
>>> The same notation can be found in the villages death books:
>>> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-CH-
>>> CALHETA-O-1782-1818/SJR-CH-CALHETA-O-1782-1818_item1/P175.html
>>>
>>> This is repeated every handful of entries. I would love to know what the
>>> priest was denoting, or counting! Any help in the matter would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> ,
>>>
>>> Jeremy
>>> Researching: Sao Jorge, Pico, Flores, Faial, Graciosa, Teirceira
>>>
>>> --

>> Margaret M Vicente

Margaret M Vicente