He was registered as #1612, born/baptized 1878. It is likely a dead end. Had
either parent come forward, their names would have appeared in Jacinto's
marriage record or in the baptismal records of Jacinto's children. I wonder if
Gordon has checked the children's birth and marriage records?

Sometimes, as in the case of one of my foundling ancestors, the parentage is an
open secret. Everybody knows but nobody makes a formal declaration. The details
are murky. In the case of my foundling ancestor, born in 1820, it took a
hundred years before the issue began to appear in print and almost another 50
years before the whole matter was exposed in a book. Needless to say, her
father was the village squire and prominent in society and in politics. Her
mother had been a servant in her lover's father's house.

John