Tony you need to go to the AzoresGenWeb site and download the Basic
Portuguese Paleography. In the center of the booklet it lists given names
and surnames in the modern spellings. Also, James Guill's book *The History
of the Azores , *if you could find a copy, has a section with surnames in
the modern spellings. Check out the Terceira Marriage Index on the CCA
site, they use the modern spellings.

Rosemarie
rcap...@gmail.com
Researching Sao Jorge, Terceira, Graciosa, Faial and Pico, Azores,
Isola delle Femmine, Sant' Elia, Sicily