Annette:  I also have ancestors that went to the gold fields in Victoria.  The
PROV - Public Records Office Victoria might be helpful.
https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/where-start

I found that my ancestors traveled in 1852 on the ship called the Water Lily in
October.

Another place I found them was The Creswick and Clunes Advertiser.  The men in
the goldfields took each other to court for just about " anything"and those
records are in the newspapers.  After I found all the times they were listed, I
sent to the PROV to get copies of the articles.

I also found through the Pioneer Index (I think it's called the "Diggers" i de.
Where they married and the record of that giving details of where they came
from.

 Subscribe to  the Goldfields list.  I don't know how you get on it since
Rootsweb is down.    It's like the Azores list.  People on that list helped me
by looking on the Pioneers index, found the ancestors and the marriage info.
Learned the bride was abandoned by the first husband and she had a child of 8
years old who died and where he was buried.  Learned she died within first year
of marriage and eventually got photo of the grave marker.  It's been special to
get this info but it took detective work and a lot of people who helped.  Write
me if I can be of more help.

There are others on this list who also have ancestors who went to the
Goldfields in the same time frame. Maybe google Goldfields of Australia.  (?)

Best of luck

Maria Elena