Very interesting John.  Thanks for sharing and for providing the link.

Sam (Mazatlan, MX)

From: John Vasconcelos
Sent: Thursday, February 8, 2018 11:44 PM
To: azores
Subject: Fwd: [AZORES-Genealogy] What do you call a suburb?

Cheri,
Regarding "aldeia" there is one use of that designation that is unique to the
Island of Flores. The small abandoned lugar of Cuada (formerly known as Quada)
between the Freguesias of Faja Grande and Fajazinha is now known as "Aldeia da
Cuada" (google it). I don't know all the details or legalities but, in summary,
back about 2000, a couple of entrepreneurs ( the husband from Pico and the wife
from Flores) obtained funding and permission to lease or purchase an abandoned
village, install modern but simple kitchens and bathrooms and a phone line. I
have stayed there 3 or 4 times. When I was there the summer of 2002, I got up
in the wee hours of the morning and called into the AOL geanealogy chat room
and surprised the host (don't remember the host but it wasn't you Cheri - might
have been Mel). Granted, it wasn't an official government designation, but the
name of government sanctioned resort.
Aldeia da Cuada, Ilha das Flores - Açores. Turismo rural Açores.
aldeiadacuada.com/en/