Bill,
Thank you!  This means this is the "wrong" Manoel.  My great aunt's husband 
died in California in 1939:
Name: Manuel PetersBirth Year: abt 1879Death Date: 8 Mar 1939Age at Death: 
60Death Place: Stanislaus, California, USA
The birth year may have been provided incorrectly to me by the family.  Census 
ages indicate 1875-1877.  The CA death index indicates 1879.  I'll keep looking 
in other years.
Thank you again!
Regards,
Bill
   On Sunday, June 3, 2018, 12:16:06 PM PDT, [email protected] 
<[email protected]> wrote: 
 
 Hello Bill,
I believe the first note says the Manuel in this record was married to Maria 
Isabel, but became widowed when his wife died "yesterday" in Santa Cruz da 
Graciosa.  The note is dated 21 Feb 1953.The second note says Manuel died in 
the locality of Rebentão, Santa Cruz da Graciosa "yesterday".  This note is 
dated 25 Mar 1955.
Bill Seidler
On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 11:00:05 AM UTC-7, want2beunique wrote:
Manoel "Pereira" Cunha is the husband of my great aunt.  A cousin asked me to 
investigate the family name change.  Sometime after 1911, after marrying my 
great aunt, Manoel changed his last name to "Peters".  The family lore of this 
change is that their mail kept getting confused with another family with the 
same last name of "Pereira" so they changed their last name to "Peters".
I searched for the marriage record for Manoel and my great aunt Basalissa 
Augusta Isabel Conde, but there is no marriage record for 23 Apr 1911.  Likely 
because 1911 tends to be partial being the cutoff year for available digital 
records.
I was able to find a passenger manifest for May 1911 showing the newlyweds 
returning from Graciosa.  In if, Manoel is listed as "Manoel P. Cunha".
Searching for Manoel's baptism, I found the following record.  However, the 
parental names would seem to indicate his name as "Picanço Cunha" rather than 
"Pereira Cunha".
This brings a couple questions:* Is "Peters" commonly substituted for 
"Picanço"?  I know "Perry" is common for "Pereira".* The attached baptism 
appears to be the correct Manoel.  My ad-hoc translation is very poor.  Can 
someone please indicate what the margin notes in the baptism indicate?  The 
watermark is in the way, unfortunately.  I'm surmising that Manoel was married 
before my great aunt and that she passed away.
Thank you in advance!
I'm attaching a color optimized version of the record.  This link is to the 
original:http://culturacores.azores. gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/GRA- 
SC-GUADALUPE-B-1870-1874/GRA- SC-GUADALUPE-B-1870-1874_ item1/P169.html

Regards,
Bill

 


-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/azores.
  

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to