Hi Cheri,

Thank You again for your quick response and patience.

The paper trail research is very clean/thorough (‘cousin’ researching since
1970ish, me since 1998 with LOTS of
collaboration/corroboration/documentation).  Long story and not Azores, so
trying to stick to the DNA of it all – which could apply to any of us along
the way.  The DNA disconnect seems to be  at my grandfather’s father.  My
grandfather was the 1st child of his parents (5 yrs after they married;
have their marriage, his birth/baptism).  I have found DNA matches to two
of his maternal grandmother’s siblings.  So, he is his mother’s son.  No
discovered matches to his father’s family.  Thinking IF NPE, either he’s
not the natural s/o his father OR his father is not the natural son of his
parents (who happen to be 1st cousins; have his 1850 baptism and he is an
infant with his family in the 1851 census).   Plenty of endogamous here
too.

Suggesting not necessarily a NPE, I was also told that it isn’t a
surprise/unusual that there is no match to a 3rd cousin once removed (given
random distribution).  I know other ‘cousins’ (4th+) have tested and I’m
not matching them either. Thus, trying to figure out how to proceed.  No
paternal first cousins.  Some second cousin possibilities, if they will
agree to test.

Your positive influence is clearly visible re encouraging testing : )  Just
wondering if random distribution could also be a component.  I found a
match via the Boston Irish project (paternal grandmother).  We emailed and
learned that our likely connection is the Azores!

Is there anything FTDNA could do to enhance following FamilyFinder results?

Thanks again,

Marsha Stringer

strin...@mstringer.net