Hello Deb,

I thought I would just throw this in.... a recommendation for a guide. I’ve
been to the Azores several times and on my last three visits to Sao Miguel, we
have used a wonderful guide, Gary Travassos.

I’ve also used taxis but there is really something to be said about having a
guide who can show you so much in the most economical use of your time. Gary
spent some time in Canada and then his parents decided to return to the Azores,
so Gary speaks perfect English. We have always loved our time with him. I do
not have ancestry in Sao Miguel so never tried to find specific village streets
with him but am sure he would be great with that too. Sao Miguel is really a
show stopper in my book.... I can’t say it’s my favorite as I stay true to my
island ancestry LOL.... but my non Portuguese husband will flat out tell you,
it’s the best for beauty.
I would suggest going for a day with him before going out on your own which you
still could do. To see both sides of the island, we actually used him for two
days and feel it was very worthwhile!

https://www.azoreantours.com/

We had a guide in Faial and Pico which I would not particularly recommend.

You are in for a treat! My first visit was in 1983.... life changing I would
say as my visit gave me so much insight about who I am. The islands have called
me back 5 times since that first visit and I hope for one more trip to take my
youngest daughter’s family! I’ve been waiting for my littlest grandson to get a
little older:)

Savor each moment!

Susan Vargas Murphy