Hi Brian M,

The researcher that lives there that covers Sao Jorge and Graciosa islands
is Joao Ventura. He has a real job (it just happens to be working in the
archives for the government for whatever they assign him). He does research
for hire as a side job. So he does this research for hire after his regular
work job is finished for the day. So you won't be able to fly over there
and just sit down with him while he is working his regular job and expect
to see him doing a side job during his regular work hours. Any of the
researchers for hire you will pay them a fee and they do the research and
send you the results. It doesn't matter if you go to their location or not,
you will still receive your results. If you happen to fly to where they are
located, maybe you could try to meet up at lunch or after work with them.

Many researchers for hire can only work so many cases at a time and some
have a wait list. If you have contacted Joao, make sure you have put "99"
and not "9" by mistake.
hero...@yahoo.com. And sometimes, life can get in the way. You did not say
how long it has been since you emailed Joao. Maybe he came down with the
flu or something. I don't know. Email him again and ask if he can take your
case (you need a name, date (or range) and the freguesias) and how long he
estimates it might be before he can get to you.

The full list of Researchers for Hire can be found on the Azores GenWeb
here. You need your ancestor's name, dates (or range), and the freguesia.
http://www.worldgenweb.org/azrwgw/researchers-available-for.html

(P.S. It's "Obrigado" for "thank you" in Portuguese. Gracias is Spanish).
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada